Mixing music and digital stories, changing lives
Noise Solution delivers ‘one to one’ music mentoring programs with people facing challenging circumstances. Often focused on electronic music and beat making, each session is enhanced, supported, and reinforced through the use of our own bespoke social media platform. Our strengths-based approach safely shares participants’ weekly music session highlights, via this platform, with their family and professional key-workers.
By making people feel in control, good at something, and sharing that experience we fulfil a number of known ‘psychological needs’ required for well-being to flourish. As a result, Noise Solution has been independently found to be highly statistically significant in positively impacting upon well-being. Improved well-being is proven to lead to improved engagement, health, and educational outcomes.
Time after time parents, professionals and participants tell us that we act as a catalyst for positive change.
Simon Glenister – Director of Noise Solution
Practitioners and Participants
Whether You Are an Interested Professional
Or a Potential Participant
Practitioners and Participants
Whether You Are an Interested Professional...
Or a Potential Participant...
“You really can see a difference in these young people. They can come into the service being quite insular, but by the end of the project have grown in confidence and self-esteem. The feedback we’ve had from schools, families and the young people themselves has also been great, as they can’t believe the difference they are seeing.”
(Norfolk and Suffolk Mental Health Trust, 2015)
What Noise Solution and Noise Solution Graduates Have Achieved
Use the arrows below to step through a typical Noise Solution 10 week intervention
Explore one of our participants blogs by clicking on the image below
Why it Works
NOISE SOLUTION IS EVIDENCE-BASED AND INFORMED BY THEORY. OVER THE LAST EIGHT YEARS WE HAVE RAISED AND INVESTED OVER £100K IN RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT TO UNDERSTAND WHY OUR INTERVENTION WORKS, WHILST AT THE SAME TIME DEVELOPING A DIGITAL PLATFORM SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO EFFECTIVELY MEASURE AND DELIVER THAT INTERVENTION. WE BELIEVE THE FOLLOWING FACTORS CONTRIBUTE TO THE IMPACT WE MAKE:
- Informed by Self Determination Theory (Deci and Ryan), Noise Solution aims to facilitate the growth of participants feelings of Autonomy, Competency and Relatedness. These are the three accepted ‘psychological needs’ required for well-being to flourish.
- We are interested in well-being because evidence informs us that if we impact on well-being we improve social, educational, health and engagement outcomes for participants. One meta study equates the positive impacts of improved well-being being equal to the negative impacts of smoking (Veenhoven, 2008). We’ve established that we are statistically significant in impacting on well-being.
- Our presentation as musicians rather than social work or mental health professionals aids engagement and builds trust with both participants’ and their families, sidestepping issues around power hierarchies.
- The relationship at the heart of any engagement, whether therapeutic, clinical, or educational, is the number one indicator of success across academic literature's.
- Participants co-create with musicians their musical journeys increasing feelings of Autonomy. With music sessions creating quick tangible feelings of success in a skill deemed societally complicated (creating music) impacting upon confidence.
- The capture and sharing of participants success via their digital story externalises their success, reflecting it back at them, scaffolding their ability to process and internalise that success (Impacting on feelings of Competence).
- As people, that participants have identified as important, comment on their digital story their positive external validation embeds a perception for participants as being successful. Challenging negative labels they or others have attached to them. That creation of a digital community around participants builds a sense of Relatedness.
Noise Solution tutors are musicians first and foremost. Our tutors are musical mentors not music therapists; real world professional musicians helping people make the music that they relate to, whatever it might be. Our Board are professionals ranging from mental health consultants to committed and experienced social enterprise managers, making sure we retain and deliver the focus on positive social outcomes, helping as many of those who need it as possible.
*Based on a 10 week intervention, Bronze arts award and studio time
Each individual case is different and the best way to make a decision about how Noise Solution can work for your clients is to speak to us, so please do get in touch if you would like to find out more.
What we can say is that with 92% of the thirty-eight organisations we have worked with over the past six years re-commissioning us to run subsequent programs, we are pretty confident that we deliver value for money for the vast majority of the people we work with.
Our sessions can pretty much take place anywhere from participant’s houses to schools and recording studios. A normal set of sessions will see us workinin turn allowing us to discharge them from our care.”g for 5 weeks at the participant’s home then 5 weeks in a recording studio local to the participant.
We have a group of very talented, fully vetted tutors who are professional musicians. They are also experienced in working with clients facing all sorts of challenges.
We are currently delivering across the East of England, contact us for details of where you would like us to work.
A social enterprise means that the organisation invests any profits back into the business so we can expand the services we offer.
It Would be Great to Hear from You